Hazelnut, Carrot 'n Currant Cake
185g peeled and grated carrots
5 eggs, seperated
1 ¼ cups caster sugar
finely grated rind of 1 lemon
¾ cup Australian currants
½ cup self raising flour
1. Place the hazelnuts on a tray and cook in a moderate oven for about 10-12 minutes or until they are a light golden colour.
2. Tip them into a teatowel and rub away most of the skin, then grind or mince them.
3. Leave the nuts aside to cool completely.
4. Beat the egg yolks with the sugar and lemon rind until light and pale in colour. Then add the carrots, hazelnuts, currants and sifted flour and salt.
5. Beat the egg whites seperately until they hold soft peaks and fold these into the carrot mixture. Incorporate well but do not overbeat.
6. Pour the mixture into a greased and lined 20cm ring tin.
7. Bake in a moderate oven for approximately 50-60 minutes or until cooked when tested.
8. Allow to cool in the tin for 10 minutes before turning out.
9. When cool, decorate as desired.
10. This cake is delicious with a lemon flavoured icing.