Pecan Easter Roll
3/4 cup white sugar
1/2 cup water
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon orange-flower water (optional)
2 cups pecan nuts, crushed
3 tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon finely grated lemon rind
2/3 cup sultanas
4 large sheets fillo pastry
125g unsalted butter, melted.
1. Heat sugar and water, stirring until sugar is dissolved.
2. Add half the lemon juice and simmer until syrup is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
3. Add remaining lemon juice and orange-flower water (optional) and simmer a further 2 minutes.
Cool, then refrigerate until ready to use.
1. Combine the pecan nuts, honey, lemon rind and sultanas.
2. Lay out a single sheet of fillo and brush with butter. Fold sheet lengthwise in half and repeat procedure with another sheet of fillow, placing one on top of the other.
3. Spread half of filling mixture over the top leaving 2.5 cm boarder around the edge.
4. Roll pastry into a cylinder and brush with butter. Repeat with remaining pastry and filling.
5. Place rolls on a greased, shallow baking dish and bake in a moderate oven for 20-25 minutes or until crisp and golden brown.
6. When the rolls are removed from the oven, pour over the cook syrup and allow the rolls to stand absorbing any excess syrup.
Serve warm or cold, sliced.